Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Today has been an interesting day. I woke up, went to work, I was there for 21 hours...ok maybe not that long, but it felt like that. I came to a realization today that life doesn't need to be easy for me to be happy or even to enjoy it. I don't need wealth, possessions, status, nice things or anything else really. Happiness and enjoyment HAS to come from something else... t comes from simple things. What kind of simple things you may say? well here are some things that the Lord says are key...
"we count them happy which endure," James 5:11
"He that has mercy on the poor is happy," Prov. 14:21
"whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he," Prov. 16:20
"he that keepeth the law, happy is he
," Prov. 29:18
"(reading) sacred word of God, to which we owe all our happiness
," Alma 44:5

The fact of the matter is, life's happiness does not come from the things we always look to, money and material things, in fact Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "Things are in the saddle and ride mankind." The fact is, it's not gonna be warm tomorrow, it's probably going to be windy and cold, I'm not going to be rich tomorrow, I'll still be tired when I wake up and the gas prices will still be going up. We have to find a way to find the good in things because lets be honest, somethings in life aren't inherently good, they have to be made that way. I read this a couple months ago and think he can express my point a little better,

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are often more dull that otherwise. Life is like an old-time rail journey . . .delays, side-tracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas, and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”

~ Rev. Jenkin Lloyd Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment